In my role as The Recruitment Coach almost everyone I have spoken to feels their LinkedIn profile could be improved. Some of them haven’t got around to it yet. Some of them don’t know where to start. Here are some pointers to get you started.
1. Add a profile photo. Your profile will be easier to find, come up higher in searches and look more credible. The look you should aim for is ‘professional and approachable’. My favourite photographer is @TheHeadshotGuy aka John Cassidy https://www.theheadshotguy.co.uk/
2. Have a strong headline that accurately describes what you do. There are more interesting ways to do this than just using your job title. Use accurate words that people are likely to search on.
3. Include an engaging summary in the ‘about’ section. This is a great space to give a brief overview of who you are, what you do and what is important to you. It is essentially your elevator pitch.
4. Write like you would talk. Imagine you are talking to someone at an event and telling them who you are and what you do. Speak in the first person. Avoid jargon and competencies. You wouldn’t tell someone you are a ‘commercially orientated team player’ over a drink (I hope.)
5. Add multi-media. This could be presentations, videos, links to articles you have published. It brings your profile to life and showcases things you have done.
6. Ask for recommendations from relevant colleagues and clients. It is valuable when someone endorses your work, rather than relying on your own opinion.
7. Actually use it. Just being on LinkedIn isn’t enough. You also need to use it regularly. This could be by posting status updates and sharing quality content to your network. It could also be more targeted, sending relevant people a personal message and keeping in touch.
And finally, one that so many people fail to do:
8. Maintain presence at all times, not just when you are looking for a job. Networking shouldn’t be an activity that you pick up when you need something from others. It should be ongoing and two way.
If you would be interested to read my free LinkedIn Guide to find out more about using LinkedIn effectively, click here to sign up for my monthly message, Positivity Bites and to download this and other free resources.
To learn more about one to one coaching on successfully using social media to grow your network and reputation click here.